Friday 14 February 2014

Houses of Goa


Towards the end of my week in Goa, I visited this place in the sketch above. Known as Houses of Goa it is a 3 storey museum of ...well.... houses, in Goa. Some of the very wealthy mansions as well as the typical village houses are documented through measure drawings and photographs and presented with a lot of detailed and descriptive writing about the lifestyle. I was also happy to see sketches and paintings of the houses done more recently added in as part of the collection on view.

Apart from plans and models, the collection also includes sign boards, architectural detail elements,  ornamental pieces and all kinds of household articles that are a reminder of a past lifestyle. Goan architecture is heavily portugese influenced and this is evident in the smallest of details.
 I tried to capture some of them, the ones that caught my eye the most. After wandering slowly through the 3 floors I came back out and sketched the building when a tall gentleman passing by on the road came up to me and asked if I wouldn't mind if he watched while I sketch. I said I wouldn't and he stood behind me for some time. It was only as he left and entered his house next door that I realised it was Gerard DaCunha, the architect of the Museum!


Houses of Goa is an island surrounded by road and on one side, Gerard's house faces the museum. On the other is Gerard's office - his architectural practice. The office also houses the official Mario Miranda Gallery. So after the sketching was over that's where I went next. I'm a huge fan of Miranda's work and was so absorbed in studying his sketches that I didnt produce any of my own in the gallery.

3 comments:

  1. This is a delightful set of sketches and I am sure your visit to the museum and Mario's gallery must have been very worthwhile. Did you know that DaCunha is delivering a lecture at SAP on 28th Feb @ 5:30 pm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I didn't know that! 28th Feb Manohar Devadoss is releasing a book and giving a demo on perspective!! Want to be at both places at once :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DaCunha's presentation was very nice and interesting. He showed pictures and drawings of the building that you have sketched and after seeing them I appreciate your sketch even more.

      Delete